3 Jan 2018
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).
Participating: Leah Silen, Andy Terrel, Didrik Pinte, Ralf Gommers, Jennifer Klay, Matt Turk
Not Attending: Lorena Barba
Approval of Minutes from last meeting: -
Items Voted on by Email: -
Treasurer’s Report: To be finalized this coming week, not discussed.
Executive Director’s Report: -
1. Sloan Sustainability Grant
Leah and Christie had a call last night; Christie significantly changed her vision on where the Sustainability Program needs to go.
Discussion between Christie and Andy showed that Christie was not interested in Model 1. See asked for a month to work on a roadmap for the coming year, together with Leah. Discussion on two topics:
- What are the goals and roadmap for the next year.
- Who has final responsibility for overseeing the Sustainability Project and Christie’s work?
Board decision: we go for Model 1, with Daniel Katz as oversight board Chairman. Christie to review the Model 1 document and propose any changes if needed. Andy to communicate this decision to Christie and Dan.
2. Software/Data Carpentry
Update on the Software/Data Carpentry transition given. Transition is moving forward; Leah says we need a communication plan. Gina can handle this, no board action needed.
Clarification of policies on pydata.org (name, domain, hosting of git repositories, etc.).
- NumFOCUS has a trademark on PyData
- Originally PyData was thought of around 2010 in a large labelled array discussion.
- There never has been a clear policy on what happens in the PyData GitHub org. There is a policy for when an event can be called a PyData conference.
- Example of clear policy that we could mirror: Apache.
- No appetite from the board for any restrictions like “a project needs an FSA” to be on https://github.com/pydata.
- We do need a policy with licensing requirements etc. - to be created.
4. Bokeh’s Application for Fiscal Sponsorship
Resolution to approve Bokeh's request for Fiscal Sponsorship. Approved (5/0/0)
5. Python in Astronomy
Grant request from Python in Astronomy received for Scholarship Funding ($3,000).
Discussion: $3000 is declined, $2000 is approved (5/0/0). Matt to write a reply.
6. Budget and Annual Report
7. Written Consent Action for Leah’s signature
- Overall looks fine. Only one comment so far: it does not mention the NumFOCUS mission/purpose/goals.
- Document taken from some standard Texas legal docs site.
- Leah to update and send out for an email vote.