8 Jan 2018
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).
Participating: Matt Turk, Didrik Pinte, Ralf Gommers, Leah Silen
Observing: Gina Helfrich
Not Attending: Andy Terrel, Jennifer Klay, Lorena Barba
Approval of Minutes from last meeting: -
Items Voted on by Email: -
Treasurer’s Report: To be finalized this week. Meeting Didrik and Leah the coming Wednesday on the 2018 budget. To be sent out by email before the next board meeting.
Executive Director’s Report: -
1. Software Carpentry
Resolution to authorize Software Carpentry Foundation’s transfer to Community Initiatives as Carpentries Foundation.
They’re planning to transfer funds on Jan. 15th. We’re still waiting on written notice to terminate their FSA, as well as the official confirmation that SWC/DC have a new 501c3 fiscal sponsor. No funds can be transferred or termination notices for contractors can be sent out by NumFOCUS before those two documents are received.
No quorum now, resolution to be sent out by email. To be approved before SWC funds are transferred.
2. Data Carpentry
Resolution to authorize Data Carpentry Foundation’s transfer to Community Initiatives as Carpentries Foundation. No quorum now, resolution to be sent out by email.
3. Small Grants Program
Will NumFOCUS again be awarding small project grants from End of Year Campaign funds?
- Total of online donations and checks received for NumFOCUS: $28,249 (this doesn’t include donations designated for a specific project).
- $15k left over in grants budget from last year. Total budget was $35k.
- We’d like to do the same call as last year, but now more frequently. Suggested: $20k per call, do a call every 4 months.
- Leah to send out a board vote email on this.
4. Jupyter developers
Jupyter developers coming to NumFOCUS from Anaconda (proposed).
- One developer as a contractor, one developer will need benefits.
- Are there longer term commitments for benefits? Answer Leah: no, can be cancelled with a month’s notice.
- All our developer contracts have a 30 day termination clause.
- This therefore isn’t different from other contractor agreements.
- Anaconda will be paying them through Jan. 31st and donating $25K to NumFOCUS to fund Jupyter.
- Jupyter Steering Council responsible to request funding this, and raising funds to pay these two developers.
- Setting up an open quantitative formula for developer salaries and consulting rates that’s comparable to national averages.
Continued from 11 Dec 2017 meeting. The differences in the text were sent out again through email and will be voted on next meeting.
- Content looks good to Matt, Didrik and Ralf.
- There are a few things in there that definitely need to be approved.
- Ralf to send out an email vote.