25 Apr 2018
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).
Participating: Andy Terrel, Leah Silen, Ralf Gommers, Jennifer Klay, Didrik Pinte
Not Attending: Lorena Barba
Approval of Minutes from last meeting: Approved (3/0/0)
Items Voted on by Email: -
- Q1 detailed profits and loss sheet presented.
- metrics and budget overviews will be given next meeting
- Q1 totals:
- Admin + PyData: $824,811.41
- Projects: $1,424,461.52
Executive Director’s Report:
- Discussion on compensation for contractors, based on the JH Fellowship details. Action Ralf: find the policy that the PSF has on payment levels for contractors.
- Proposed Summit dates at Microsoft in New York, Sep 22-25
- Summit: form a committee to construct the program. Andy & Leah to sit together to prepare and send out an email to projects on this topic.
1. Affiliated Project Status QuTiP
Approval of Affiliated Project Status for QuTiP: As requested they have adopted and added a CoC to their website.
2. Board meeting times
Lorena’s request, follow up via email.
3. NumFOCUS EU
Liability information: Didrik checked, similar limited liability in France as in the US. Document on next steps was discussed.
4. John D. Hunter Plotting Contest
- Proposal received to fund this content for $2,250.
- Contest run through SciPy in the past but hasn’t been recently implemented; this is a call to bring it back and fund through NumFOCUS
- Communication with SciPy organizers needs to happen; Matplotlib leaders need to run it, maybe shouldn’t be NumFOCUS-centered
- Proposal: Fund this year but for the future, work with SciPy, Matplotlib and the Hunter family to formalize program independent of NumFOCUS.
Funding of $2250 approved for this year (4/0/0).
5. Sustainability Program
- Summit: form a committee, staff member, a board member, and 3 project leads
- Leah and Andy will meet to discuss details
6. NumFOCUS Board Chair
Because Andy will now be paid by NumFOCUS and will need a contractor agreement, Andy proposes to name a different Chair of the board to avoid a conflict of interest. Board vote (4/0/0): Ralf will be the Chair going forward.