12 Jul 2018
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS, in-person at the SciPy'18 conference. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).
Participating: Lorena Barba, Andy Terrel, Ralf Gommers, Leah Silen
Not Attending: Jennifer Klay, Didrik Pinte
Approval of Minutes from last meeting: Approved (3/0/0)
Items Voted on by Email: -
Treasurer’s Report: first Q2 report in progress, ready for review in advance of next board meeting
Executive Director’s Report: discussed
The owner of pythonxy.org is asking if we would like to take over ownership of this domain? He will not be renewing. Potentially valuable/useful, plus don’t want it to be a domain squatting site. Agreed that we should accept the transfer.
2. Community Alliance application from ESIP
Community Alliance with Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP, http://esipfed.org): Approved (3/0/0)
3. Summit Update
- Content committee: Brian Granger, Matt Turk, Gina Helfrich, Bryan Weber (Cantera) (Kelle Cruz, Dan Katz),
- James Powell working on the forum/industry side.
- Logistics is pretty much set up.
- Sponsored projects: 1 free spot, 3 total max
- Affiliate projects: no free spots, 3 total max.
- List of affiliate projects needs review, not everyone got it apparently.
4. Advisory Council composition
- Jason Grout will be joining the Advisory Council as Bloomberg’s representative. This is one of the benefits as a platinum sponsor.
- Update of https://www.numfocus.org/community/people needed. Matt Greenwood (Two Sigma) also needs to be added.
- A Capital One representative will also still be added (discussion in progress).
5. Board Elections
- How many seats? Options are 5 or 7.
- Election process?
- Nomination process; any member can nominate.
- Voting by all members in leadership positions → to be defined in detail, e.g. 5 hours a month of community work.
- Consensus ratification (can include possible adaptation for diversity, community representation, etc.)
- Come back to this process by email. Nomination email end next week. Target voting date: end of August, one month before Summit.
6. Corporate Sponsorship Prospectus
Ready for distribution
7. Open EdX update
Andy is preparing a proposal for a fuller master training program that includes OpenEdX.