12 Sep 2018
Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).
Participating: Andy Terrel, Didrik Pinte, Ralf Gommers, Leah Silen, Gina Helfrich (observing), Jennifer Klay, Lorena Barba
Not Attending: -
Approval of Minutes from last meeting:
- 29 Aug 2018
- 27 Aug 2018 (joint meeting with Advisory Council)
https://github.com/numfocus/numfocus-board/pull/21 (status as of commit 1296f5b660081c872cfab744a7fe7b4675830581)
Items Voted on by Email: -
Treasurer’s Report: -
Executive Director’s Report: Discussion on Cantor’s request for affiliated status: they’re part of KDE, it makes more sense for them to be supported by the KDE org rather than by NumFOCUS. It’s also a quite small project, probably doesn’t meet our bar for accepting a project.
Resolved to work with the Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) on matching grants for the small development grants. Approved (5/0/0)
1. Board meeting minutes website
The process to approve board meeting minutes and resolutions was discussed.
Approval to publish minutes website:
- Resolutions page: put a statement on the resolutions page that before 26 Aug we don’t have formal resolutions; the meeting minutes are leading.
- One issue discussed is how to deal with private content that is redacted from minutes. Ralf to follow up on that; the new secretary may also have an opinion that should be taken into account.
- https://github.com/numfocus/numfocus-board/pull/21. Pull request approved (4/0/0) for merging and for the site to be published.
2. NumFOCUS Platform proposal
Andy presented a proposal that is under discussion with a possible sponsor.
3. NumFOCUS Summit
Forum Speakers have been confirmed:
- Day 1 (Sat. Sep. 22), Opening Anchor Session on Sustainability - Dan Katz, Carol Willing, Peter Wang
- Day 2 (Sun. Sep. 23), Panel: Operating with the Commercial World - Andy Terrel, Travis Oliphant, Donald Fisher, Stefan Karpinski, Elenita Elinon. Moderated by James Powell.
4. Insight Software Consortium Fiscal Sponsorship Application
Sponsorship application submitted by the Insight Software Consortium was discussed.
Approved (5/0/0), pending the correct legal dissolution of the ISC nonprofit.
5. Governance discussion regarding new board selection
Feedback has been given to the people who emailed about the selection process. At the Summit in two weeks time we will have a session on how NumFOCUS is governed, in order to give more people the opportunity to voice any ideas and concerns.