8 Nov 2018

Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).

Participating:

Board members: Andy, Katrina, James, Jane, Lorena, Sylvain, Stéfan

ED: Leah

Board Members Not Attending: none

**Approval of Minutes from last meeting: **

10/11: Approved, 4-0-0

10/25: Approved, 5-0-0

Items Voted on by Email or Github:

Executive Director’s Report:

We discussed publishing/more heavily publicizing the Service Level Agreement (SLA) for NumFOCUS fiscally sponsored projects.

The current SLA summarizes NumFOCUS standards when nothing goes wrong; when there are issues with a given payment and follow up is required, short-staffing has prevented timely resolution in keeping with SLA standards. Hiring an additional financial admin should allow services stipulated in SLA to be more consistently provided. Leah will also be setting up quarterly meetings with each projects to make sure their needs are being met.

We discussed the possibility of surveying NumFOCUS projects for current satisfaction via net promoter type scoring.

We discussed using data (e.g. reporting of hours spent on administrative services per project) to justify any potential increases in admin fees.

President’s Report:

We discussed resolution of a couple formally-lodged project complaints.

We discussed the possibility of handling code of conduct violations via committee rather than turning such issues over to Leah/Andy. Considerations include that CoC violations occur infrequently but handling them can be time intensive when they do occur; when they come up, CoC violations require fast response times.

We discussed a potential merger with the Linux Foundation; we are awaiting further details/a concrete proposal from LF before discussing further.

Treasurer’s Report: Budget Q&A - [Katrina and Leah: 10 min]

We discussed the Q3 budget. PyDatas have been relatively successful at bringing in income.

Discussion Items:

a. Affiliated Project Applications

The board requires additional information to evaluate ArviZ’s case for becoming an affiliated project and will evaluate ArviZ once that information is provided.

Andy will clarify one point of ambiguity with Yellowbrick before the board will complete voting on Yellowbrick’s affiliated project application.

b. Small Development Grants

Board members will vote online on small development grants by Monday. Andy will schedule a call with board members for final discussions before making award announcements on Wednesday.

c. Bylaws

A discussion of the bylaws was tabled for our next meeting.

d. Proposal to budget $30K for Education Platform content creation

This discussion was tabled for our next meeting.

b. On NumFOCUS EU

Sylvain will continue leading discussions on NumFOCUS EU over email.

Action Items: