14 July 2020

Minutes of a Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of NumFOCUS. All votes are reported in the form “(Y/N/A)” (in favor-Y‚ opposed-N‚ abstentions-A; e.g. “4-1-2” means “4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 2 abstentions”).

July 14, 2020


Board Members: Jane Herriman, Lorena Barba, James Powell, Stéfan van der Walt, Katrina Riehl, Sylvain Corlay, Andy Terrel

Executive Director: Leah Silen

Not attending: N/A

Email/Github Voting:

Votes needed for June 2, June 16, and June 30 minutes.

Executive Director’s Report:

Discussion Items:

a. (Previously tabled) Review of the NumFOCUS EU Resolution passed at the December 11, 2018 board meeting. We discussed and approved (4-0-0) a resolution to form a NF EU preliminary board consisting of

Going forward NF will have a global board and a local board for each region of operation beyond the US. The NF EU, and further local boards, are entitled to one seat each on the global board. The NF EU board’s seat on the NF Global Board is currently occupied by Sylvain.

The local board will have the authority to accept money on the behalf of NF and NF projects per NF sponsorship agreements, spend a preallocated budget to be determined by the global board on local activities, and propose resolutions to the global board. Each local board is expected to organize a non-profit organization pursuant to the local laws of the board and represent NF sponsored and affiliated projects. Project approval shall be a duty of the global board in order to maintain the quality and consistency of the projects.

This resolution was passed unanimously at the meeting with Andy, Lorena, Jane, and Sylvain present and voting. Leah was an observer and James was in partial attendance during discussion.

a. Update on BentoML?

i.  No response from project on governance docs -- Andy.

b. New project upcoming dates:

i.  Applications due: July 15 ( as of today we have 4 sponsored and 8 affiliated)

ii. Championing/review writing period: \~July 16 to August 11

iii. Meeting to discuss reviews: August 11

iv. Announcements: August 31

c. 2 Hour Strategic Planning Meeting scheduled for July 28 (our next meeting).

i.  Suggestion made to move this out a couple of weeks

ii. Topic suggestions:

    1.  incubator program

    2.  financial systems

    3.  Summit

        a.  Staff working with project leads to define,

        b.  Reaching out to old committee

        c.  Workshop proposals

            i.  Grant writing to be lead by Kurt Rohloff of Palisade

        d.  Networking

        e.  Project collaborations/sprints

        f.  Awards?

    4.  Elections

    5.  Organizational challenges

        a.  Think on what the board of directors can do

        b.  Can we formalize committees better

iii. Should we move forward on these and if so, what are the next steps, prioritizing the work of the organization (kpi’s?)

iv. Workshops, sprints, networking - project collaboration, elections, awards

v.  Format

    1.  Brainstorming and idea generation, thus no prep work needed from board directors

    2.  Start

d. Job Board - Action items or next steps?

i.  Project contractor needs

    1.  Need help finding people who can fill grant positions

ii. Proposal 1

    1.  Managed by staff

    2.  Submit via google forms

    3.  Post on wordpress

    4.  Include in newsletter, twitter

    5.  Post to free places (hackernews, indeed, angellist)

iii. Proposal 2

    1.  Post on github

    2.  Have hugo static generator update a separate site

    3.  Managed by programmer (Stefan)?

iv. What rules for postings?

    1.  Jobs that are for open source development and community

    2.  Jobs that appeal to our community for

        a.  Different categories

    3.  Start with very open and then review later

v.  How do we manage the applicants?

vi. Decision:

    1.  Use proposal 1 for gettings started

    2.  Review the types of postings we get in a month and adjust the program as needed